The water treatment plant was constructed in 1966-67 at the raw water pumping station near Miami Creek. It replaced the old treatment plant located near the power plant. Water is pumped after treatment into a 300,000 gallon above-ground steel clear well.
The treatment plant has a rated capacity of 1.4 million gallons per day. With the side of united, however, it is believed that the plant should be capable of delivering a somewhat higher quantity of water, with a reasonably safe capacity of 1.8 million gallons per day.
In addition to the 300,000 gallon water storage at the new treatment plant, the Butler water system contains a 200,000 gallon elevated tank located east off the Butler Square and two under concrete structures at the old water plant. The smaller, older structure is an 80,000 gallon circular basin. It is connected by pipe to a recently rehabilitated square underground structure constructed in 1956 and having a capacity of 300,000 gallons. It formerly served as the clear well under the filters of the old water plant.